If you want to increase the gas mileage by burning less fuel from your SUV vehicle and also play a role in decreasing environmental pollution, here are a few tips for you –
- Inflated Tires – Check the pressure in your tires. Less inflated tire can burn up a lot of fuel as its rolling resistance is high and it consumes a lot of engine power. Keep checking your tire pressure (once in a month) and do not inflate the tires more than what is shown on the tire sidewall as it is dangerous.
- Wheel alignment – This can also help you save fuel. The more the resistance, the more fuel will be used up by the engine. Having your wheels directed straight will reduce the resistance while rolling. Having your vehicle positioned in an uneven way because your rear wheels are not aligned, will also create a lot of aerodynamic drag in side of the body and hence using up a lot of fuel.
- Remove additional equipment – Anything that creates a vehicle drag, will also create more resistance moving forward. Removing equipment such as windshield visor, running boards, etc, will help you save fuel. But, if you are to drive in mud or in gravel, it could be useful to have your running boards attached.
- Turn off the engine when vehicle is at rest – Looking for improved fuel economy in your vehicle, turning off your engine when the vehicle is at rest will help you save some gas. Stuck in a traffic for around a minute? It will cost less fuel to turn the engine off and then to restart it, than to keep your machine on. In addition to this, don’t race against the traffic signal, speeding up and then coming to a sudden halt also consumes more fuel.
- Check the spark plugs – High resistance in the plug wires can lead to misfiring spark plugs. It’s good to spend some bucks on the tune-up, if you have been driving quite for some time now! Occasional misfiring spark plugs can bring down the fuel economy of your vehicle, even though you won’t be able notice it. So, get it checked to keep save some money on the fuel consumption.
- Check the heater performance–In order to get your engine warmed up quickly, you need to get a new thermostat (if your thermostat opens up quick, your engine will take a long time to get to the operating temperature). Bad heater performance reduces the rating of your fuel economy.
As fuel prices are soaring up high, not pulling out some tricks will force you to spend a lot on the fuel. So, stick on to these few tips and consider it to be a guide that will help you save a lot of MPG, so you can use the money elsewhere, so that your vehicle can give you the best performance while rolling, also giving you much comfort.
Find a Fuel Efficient SUV for Sale in Olympia
If you still aren’t satisfied with your SUV’s fuel economy there are plenty of SUVs for sale in Olympia that get good gas mileage at Washington Auto Credit! Check out our selection of new or used vehicles for sale near Tumwater online or call us to speak with a sales representative now at (360) 529-0002